NOW Foods Supplements, Vitamin C-1,000 with Rose Hips, Sustained Release, Antioxidant Protection, 250 Tablets
- With Rose Hips & Bioflavonoids
It is also a highly effective antioxidant that can help maintain healthy tissues by neutralizing free radicals generated during normal metabolism and exposure to environmental stressors.*
This unique blend includes rose hips and bioflavonoids which work synergistically with Vitamin C.*
- Sustained release: NOW Vitamin C-1000 was specially formulated to provide a sustained release of vitamin C, known for its vital role in the immune system
- With rose hips: Added source of vitamin C
- Certifications/classifications: Vegan/vegetarian, quality GMP assured, non-GMO, soy free, kosher
- GMP quality assured: NPA A-rated GMP certification means that every aspect of the NOW manufacturing process has been examined, including our laboratory/testing methods (for stability, potency, and product formulation).
- Packaged in the USA by a family owned and operated company since 1968
NOW Foods Vitamin C Supplements
Photo Credit: Anna Tukhfatullina
What is vitamin C?
However, humans, higher primates, Guinea pigs, and some fruit-eating bats lack an enzyme required for this internal production of the vitamin, so we must get it in foods every day, and constantly recycle it in the body using other antioxidants and free radical fighters.
What is calcium ascorbate?
Calcium ascorbate is a buffered salt (mineral compound) form of the water-soluble antioxidant vitamin C (ascorbic acid).* Calcium is reacted with ascorbic acid to buffer the acidic nature of this vitamin, making it gentler for those who have a sensitive gastrointestinal tract.
The pH of this buffered mineral ascorbate is approximately 6.8~7.4, as compared to ascorbic acid that is about a pH of 2.5. Calcium Ascorbate provides approximately 10% elemental calcium and 90% vitamin C, by weight.
What does vitamin C do in our bodies?
Ascorbate (vitamin C) is a reducing sugar (has a reactive ene-diol structure) that is involved in biochemical processes, such as hydroxylation of proline and lysine utilized in the formation of collagen and healthy connective tissue.* Ascorbate is involved in many other vital functions such as the mobilization of iron, competence of the immune system, and as an antioxidant for scavenging of reactive free radicals.*
What is the function of citrus bioflavonoids that are in some of your vitamin C formulas?
Bioflavonoids are biologically active flavonoid compounds found throughout the entire plant kingdom. Since the discovery of flavonoids in 1936, over 4,000 different types have been characterized. Though there are several forms of bioflavonoids in the citrus complex, the predominant one is Hesperidin. These flavonoids exhibit beneficial effects on capillary permeability and therefore support healthy blood flow.* They work synergistically with vitamin C.*
Why are there color variations in your different vitamin C products, and are they safe to take?
Most natural vitamin C products vary in color from batch-to-batch and bottle-to-bottle. There are normally variations in the color of the raw material used during manufacturing. This is due to natural color variations in the source of the vitamin C. Generally, you will find Vitamin C supplements to range in color from off-white to light tan to light gray. Additional color variation can be introduced by other ingredients in a formula, such as citrus bioflavonoids, etc.
Over the course of the shelf-life of a vitamin C supplement, oxidation can cause a slight change in color, so you may find the vitamin C-1000 you bought has changed to a darker color six months later. This is a normal occurrence, and the product is safe to use at least until the “Best By” date, and often beyond.
NOW® is generally conservative with our usage dates, so a vitamin C product should still meet label claims and is likely safe after that date, but may not be as effective due to oxidation lowering the strength of the vitamin over time. If the product has significantly darkened and/or appears to have been exposed to moisture, those are signs that the product may no longer be safe and effective.
Can I pour the powder in NOW® Vitamin C capsules into a liquid instead of swallowing the capsule?
Many people don’t want to or cannot swallow capsules, tablets, or softgels, for various reasons. Encapsulated vitamin C products from NOW® can be opened and mixed into a liquid for consumption. Juice or water is recommended if you choose this method. However, taking vitamin C with water on an empty stomach is the usual method of ingestion. Before you try this, please be aware that we carry several powdered forms of vitamin C products for your convenience.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Why Take Vitamin C?
Vitamin C supports the immune system and is involved in tissue growth and repair due to its role in the formation of collagen, the body’s main structural protein.
Photo credit: Anna Shvets
Versatile Vitamin C
Also known as ascorbate and ascorbic acid, vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin that’s absolutely essential for our survival. A well-known antioxidant nutrient, vitamin C supports the immune system and is involved in tissue growth and repair due to its role in the formation of collagen, the body’s main structural protein.*
Vitamin C is an electron donor, which is important for the synthesis of enzymes, and it’s a cofactor in the production of numerous essential biochemicals. Vitamin C is also involved in the synthesis of the amino acid carnitine, as well as various neurotransmitters.*
There are various forms of vitamin C available, so you may be wondering what the best form of vitamin C is, or whether or not it even makes a difference. Because vitamin C is acidic you’ll often find vitamin C supplements that include mineral ascorbates, which are mineral salts of ascorbic acid that are buffered and therefore, less acidic.
There are also a number of natural substances that support and even enhance the absorption, bioavailability, and benefits of vitamin C, including rutin, rose hips, and other natural sources of bioflavonoids.
The best form of vitamin C for you will depend on your lifestyle and health goals. Check with your health care provider or a certified nutritionist if you’re not sure what form is right for you.
Vitamin C Supplement
We offer a variety of vitamin C supplements for you and your family as well as several unique formulations.
- AlphaSorb-C® – AlphaSorb-C® (500 mg capsules) is a specialized vitamin C supplement that includes Transport C-PLUS®, a trademarked combination of threonic acid-enhanced, buffered calcium ascorbate and alpha-lipoic acid. Threonic acid is a vitamin C metabolite that has been shown to enhance cellular uptake of vitamin C.* Alpha-lipoic acid is a free radical scavenger that can help regenerate vitamin C in the body, prolonging its availability, and may also enhance its utilization.* AlphaSorb-C® is a well-absorbed and highly biologically available vitamin C supplement and is available in both 500 mg and 1000 mg potencies.*
- Effer-C® – If you’re one of those people who just doesn’t like swallowing pills then NOW Effer-C® is for you. Our popular Effer-C® Effervescent Drink Mix (Elderberry, Lemon Lime, Orange) has 1,000 mg of vitamin C per serving plus additional vitamins and minerals, including vital electrolytes to support energy production.* Just add one packet to 4 to 6 ounces of water for great-tasting, balanced nutrition whenever you need it!
- Ascorbyl Palmitate – This highly stable form of vitamin C is soluble in both water and fat. This property allows Ascorbyl Palmitate to be incorporated into cell membranes where it helps to protect them from oxidative damage.* While it possesses all of the antioxidant properties of vitamin C, it can also more easily penetrate the blood-brain barrier, facilitating the extension of its antioxidant protection to the brain and nervous system.*
The NOW® Difference
Since 1968 NOW has been empowering people to lead healthier lives with our award-winning selection of dietary supplements and natural products. As one of the industry’s oldest and most established manufacturers, we’ve developed long-standing relationships with the world’s best raw material suppliers, and we leverage these relations to ensure NOW products are produced using superior ingredients.
With our state-of-the-art, in-house laboratory facilities, and more than 100 experts focused on ensuring our products meet our industry-leading commitment to quality, you can trust NOW for all your vitamin C supplement needs.
Now that you’ve learned more about the fantastic benefits of this popular vitamin, let’s find the best vitamin C supplement for your healthy lifestyle.
7 Health benefits of Vitamin C
It’s water-soluble and found in many fruits and vegetables, including oranges, strawberries, kiwi fruit, bell peppers, broccoli, kale, and spinach.
While it’s commonly advised to get your vitamin C intake from foods, many people turn to supplements to meet their needs.
Here are 7 scientifically proven benefits of taking a vitamin C supplement.